Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Afternoon on the Esplanade

It's Rose Festival time in Portland. 

 Last week, I decided to go down to the East Bank Esplanade to watch the ships come in for Fleet Week.  It was a beautiful afternoon, and in between ships I was able to do a little bird watching.

Just a quick post to share a few pictures...

I saw an Osprey coming upstream toward me - keeping an eye on the water below for any possible meals.


He got closer, then hovered over the river very close to where I was.



I was hoping I'd get to see him dive for a fish, but no luck.


Then I heard a bird singing loudly nearby.  I'm just a newbie birder, so I didn't recognize the song, but I spotted the bird in the growth along the river bank.


It's a Song Sparrow.  Pretty common bird - I know - but he sure was singing his heart out!


Apparently the Song Sparrow is known for its energetic singing - it's one of the most persistent singers throughout the spring and summer within its wide range.

Since I was down there to watch the ships, I can't resist throwing in just one of those pictures...


And one gratuitous picture of our beautiful city, celebrating Rose Festival...


2 comments:

  1. I am bummed to see that you haven't blogged lately! I have begun blogging again and hope you will take a moment to stop by and say hello, and to "Like" Hood Photography on Facebook! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting - I'm still here! My day job and summer activities have been keeping me away from the keyboard lately, but I promise to post something new soon. Thanks for the heads up about your FB page - Liked!

      Delete

Real Time Analytics