Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Maricara Natural Area: Forest and Wooded Wetland in SW Portland

Hidden away in the Markham neighborhood of Southwest Portland, very near Tryon Creek State Natural Area, is a much smaller woodland called Maricara Natural Area.  Though it may be small (17 acres compared to Tryon Creek's 670 acres), it's certainly not lacking when it comes to beauty or providing that woodsy sense of seclusion that we nature-loving Portlandians crave.



View Larger Map

There is not a lot of parking available around the park.  The natural area is really tucked into the neighborhood, and there is no parking lot.  So I would encourage you to hike, bike, or use TriMet (Click here to Open TripPlanner).  Route 43 will get you within a half mile of the park's western edge.

Maricara Natural Area consists of mostly second-growth Douglas fir and Big Leaf Maple woodlands. The forest surrounds a wooded wetland area which is the headwaters for a small stream that flows into Arnold Creek, then on to Tryon Creek and the Willamette River.  The elevation between any two points in the park only differs by about 100 feet, so no steep hikes here.


The Indian Plum (Oemleria cerasiformis) was just beginning to sprout its lance-shaped leaves when I visited.  I thought it was interesting that the leaves were sprouting before the flower racemes.  In my yard, which gets full sun, the the flower racemes come into full bloom before you see this much leaf.  I wonder if it has to do with the amount of sun received.


I love the ferns growing in the moss on this tree.

Brown Creeper (Certhia americana)
When I spotted this little brown bird making its way up the trunk of a Douglas Fir, I thought it was some type of nuthatch, even though I knew that nuthatches usually travel head-first down the tree.  I couldn't see the curved beak until I got home and enlarged the photo.  Nuthatches have straight, stout, pointed bills.  This bird, as it turns out, is a Brown Creeper (Certhia americana).  They use their long, sturdy tails for support as they move spirally up tree trunks, probing for insects and spiders.  (The tail of a nuthatch is shorter - they don't use them for support because their heads are usually facing down the trunk.)

Douglas Squirrel (Tamiasciurus douglasii) enjoying Douglas fir seeds
As I was walking quietly along, I heard the distinct sound of nibbling.  I scanned the trees and saw this Douglas Squirrel having lunch.  It had almost worked its way through a Douglas fir cone, like a big piece of corn on the cob.





I thought the corona of fungus around this log was interesting.



The photo above shows one of the wooded wetland areas.  More of a "dampland" really.  I'm sure it's wetter at times - this hasn't been one of our rainiest periods recently - but this is not the kind of wetland with lots of open water to attract ducks and geese.  A very understated wetland, for the woodland creatures to enjoy.



On the south side of the park, coming up from the bridge across the creek, the ground was just covered with the young plants pictured above.  I could be wrong, but I think this is Western (or Pacific) Bleeding Heart (Dicentra formosa), one of our native wildflowers.  It's hard for me to tell when they're so young, but if I'm right, this will be a beautiful spot to visit in a couple weeks or so.

Update (March 9th, 2012): OK - I think I was wrong about that being Pacific Bleeding Heart.  Mike Bezner, over at Slugyard, noted on my Facebook page that this looks like Waterleaf.  After using his suggestion to do some searching on the intertubes, I agree.  This picture looks very much like mine.  And here's some more info on Pacific Waterleaf (Hydrophyllum viridulum).  Sounds like it doesn't bloom until May or so, but it does have nice flowers - if not as showy as Bleeding Heart.  I'm just glad to know this plant that was widespread at Maricara Natural Area is a west coast native, and not one of the many invasive species Portland is at war with.  Thanks for the tip, Mike!


Lots of Oregon Grape.  I believe this is the shorter variety, Dull Oregon Grape (Mahonia nervosa), as opposed to Tall Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquifolium), which is Oregon's State Flower.  There's also Creeping Oregon grape (Mahonia repens), but it's leaves are not as sharply toothed.





The Big Leaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) pictured above seems to be growing out of an old stump.  I thought maybe it was a rotted old Douglas fir stump that played host to a Big Leaf Maple seedling.  On closer inspection, the bark on the "stump" appears to be Big Leaf Maple as well.  Definitely not conifer bark.  I believe it's some kind of burl on the tree - it doesn't really appear to be a stump at all.



This is the upper portion of that same Big Leaf Maple- showing off its luxurious coat of moss and fern greenery.


Lots of bird houses around the park.  I noticed a "PSU" marking on a couple.  Some Portland State University study or project?


This picture looks very primeval.  Those logs have been there a while.

So that's my visit to Maricara Natural Area.  The park is a real jewel, and I recommend you check it out soon!  If you do, let me know if those "Bleeding Hearts" are in bloom.

For more info on Maricara Natural Area, visit the park's Intertwine page, and the Portland Parks & Recreation page, where you can download a trail and contour map, as well as a planning document which tells all about the park's species, condition, and planning for improvements (some of which have been completed).






4 comments:

  1. There is also a Friends of Marshall and Maricara Parks page that is worth noting: http://swni.org/fomp

    Patrick and I will be heading there for sure on March 30th for a kid's nature outing with PP&R, I'll look for those flowers and let you know if they've bloomed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the additional site - I hadn't run across that one before. Looks like Marshall Park is another one to add to my "must see" list.

      I believe Mike Bezner solved the Bleeding Heart/Pacific Waterleaf mystery (see update above). But still, let me know if they're blooming. I wouldn't mind getting a photo of this new-to-me species.

      Delete
  2. Please check your facts on the size of Tryon- per website -Tryon Creek State Park is a 670-acre forest located on the boundaries of Portland and Lake Oswego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for catching that - you're absolutely right! I took my info from the Intertwine site, where maybe it was a typo. I've updated my post and I'll let the folks at the Intertwine know as well.

      Delete

Real Time Analytics